Oh I love fall! I love the smell of warm apples and cinnamon and the crisp smell of a fall day. Inspired by this particularly nice day I decided to make my goldendoodle Dug some homemade dog treats, and why not an Apple Cinnamon Dog Treat?
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tbl brewers yeast (optional)
- 1 small apple finely diced (optional)
- Set your oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. If you decide to use apples, please know this will affect the shelf life (which is why it is optional). Sprinkle additional flour on your mat and knead until rollable. If your dough is too gooey, just add more flour until you get the desired consistency.
- Roll the dough to about 1/4″ to 1/2″ thickness and cut out your treats with your favorite cookie cutters. I love my personalized “Dug Bone” cutter. If you are feeling crafty, you can make little Pup Muffins out of this as well by simply smooshing the dough into a silicone cookie mold. As you can see, I did both. I used a silicone puppy paw print mold
- Pop them in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes. If you want them harder, cook them a little longer until they firm up a bit more. Be careful to not overcook these, as the honey can blacken them quickly if you look away too long.
- Once they are done, pop them out of the oven and cool for 30 minutes before serving to your pup. You can store these for up to 3 months in an airtight container, but if you use real apples, make sure you keep these in the frig for up to a week. We doubt they will last that long anyway.
Naturally, Dug loved them.
Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you try this recipe. If you do, feel free to share your photos with us on Facebook or Instagram
Do you love this recipe? Tell us in the comments! And if you get the chance, head over to our shop and check out all of the fun doodle, oodle and poo lover products we have 🙂
Latest posts by Devoted to Doodles (see all)
- 7 Must Follow Doodle Lover Instagram Accounts - June 8, 2017
- From A Fan: Why does my Goldendoodle’s Face Smell? - May 3, 2017
- Help Find Cooper the Labradoodle: Doodle Put on the Wrong Westjet Flight in Canada - April 20, 2017