Friday, December 15, 2017
HomeHealth & Grooming8 Foods You Should NEVER Feed Your Doodle

8 Foods You Should NEVER Feed Your Doodle

8 foods you should not feed your doodle
Tell the world!

All doodle owners know those begging eyes, the lip smacking and courting of what is on your plate from your dog. A little treat won’t hurt, right? In most instances, probably not, but make sure these foods aren’t in the bite. Here are 8 foods you should never feed your doodle.

 

1.) Salt

A rare treat is likely fine, but steer clear of giving your pup salty foods and snacks like chips and pretzels. Just like with humans, excess salt can cause a multitude of issues for your dog from dehydration to salt poisoning. Symptoms of salt poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, depression, high temperature and seizures. Salt poisoning in dogs has even lead to death, so make sure your dog’s indulges in low/no sodium treats.

Salt Toxic to Dogs


2.) Raw Fish

We all know sushi is yummy, but can your dog have some? It isn’t a good idea. Some fish like trout, salmon and sturgeon have a parasite that causes “fish disease” The symptoms are vomiting, fever and increased lymph nodes, and although the disease is treatable, it must be treated right away. If you are going to give your dog fish, make sure you fully cook it as to kill the potential parasites it may contain.

Raw Fish Toxic to Dogs


3.) Avocado

This one shocked us too. Avocados contain a fungal toxin called Persin, which is fine for humans without allergies to it, but can be deadly in dogs if large quantities are ingested.  Persin poisoning can cause respiratory and heart failure. It is best to keep Taco Tuesday to the humans.

Avocado Toxic to Dogs


4.) Persimmons, Peaches & Plums

The issue with these fruits is not their meat, but their seeds. We all know dogs like to help themselves to your kitchen counters and may consume these fruits in their entirety. Seeds from Persimmons, Peaches, & Plums can lodge themselves in your dog’s intestines and cause a great deal of pain and may even need to be surgically removed. So if you’d like to give your dog some of these deliciously sweet fruits, make sure you remove the seeds first.

persimmons Toxic to Dogs


5.) Chocolate

This one seems pretty obvious, as it is often common knowledge, but most people don’t know why chocolate is bad for their dogs. The real issue in chocolate is the Theobromine. Theobromine is a natural plant based alkaloid, similar to other “ine” cousins, Cocaine, Nicotine, Caffeine and Morphine. Dog’s digestive processes are much slower than humans, so your dog cannot properly break down the Theobromine quick enough to not be easily poisoned. The quantity of chocolate depends widely on how it will affect your dog. A small bit is unlikely to kill your dog, but it may make them hyper and have some tummy troubles.

chocolate Toxic to Dogs


6.) Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and Raisins are known to cause kidney failure in dogs, and just a very small amount can make your dog ill. Sadly, the exact substance in Grapes that kills dogs has yet to be found. It is best to keep your dog away from them, as it takes very little to do a great deal of damage.

Grapes and Raisins Toxic to Dogs


7.) Onions, Garlic, Leeks & Chives

All garlic and onions, in all of their forms, including powdered, cooked, raw and dehydrated, should be kept away from your dog. These foods kill your dog’s red blood cells and can cause severe anemia and even death. In very small and rare doses, your dog is unlikely to be sickened; however, eating too much can cause this poisoning. Symptoms include weakness, vomiting and breathing problems.

Onions Garlic Toxic to Dogs


8.) Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are incredibly toxic to your dog, and as few as 4-6 raw or roasted nuts can make them sick. Macadamia nuts are found in a lot of baked goods, so be cautious about what you buy and feed to your dog. Macadamia nut poisoning can cause vomiting, weakness and diarrhea. In some cases, it will cause inflammation of your dog’s pancreas.

Macadamia Nuts Toxic to Dogs

 

 

If you ever find yourself worried that your dog may have consumed something it shouldn’t, keep your local vet number handy or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888)-426-4435.

 

Don’t Forget to SHARE to fellow Doodle Owners 🙂

 

 

Leave a Comment
Tell the world!
No comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Please wait...

Doodle Owners Rock!

Subscribe for new doodle articles, doodle news, giveaways and more!